Lancaster Cleft Palate Clinic Key Facts
- LCPC was founded in 1938 by local orthodontist Dr. Herbert K. Cooper and was the first independent clinic in the world dedicated exclusively to the treatment of cleft lip and palate.
- Currently, under the direction of Dr. Cooper’s grandson, Dr. Ross Long, Jr., LCPC has returned to its roots as the only free-standing cleft/craniofacial clinic in the world.
- LCPC developed the team treatment concept as the most effective way to treat patients with cleft lip and palate and craniofacial anomalies.
- According to the CDC, cleft lip and palate is one of the most common birth defect in the United States, occurring on average to one child in every 700 live births.
- The average cost of treatment for a person with a cleft lip and palate from birth through age 18 is $300,000. Insurance reimbursement covers approximately 55% of those costs.
- The Clinic has over 10,000 registered patients, treating approximately 2,500 patients and performing approximately 18,000 services per year.
- We are one of three major cleft treatment centers in PA. Our patients come from over 36 counties in PA, with 30% right here in Lancaster County.
- Part of the mission of LCPC is to conduct research into the causes and treatment outcomes of cleft lip and palate. We have been the recipients of five major grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) since our inception.
- Currently, we are the coordinating center for the Americleft Project, the only North American study comparing treatment outcomes in order to identify best practices.